Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Six signs of spring...

Following the BBC’s spring survey I’ve been on the look out for bumble bees (first sited in mid February due to the flowering honeysuckle shrub which they seem to adore) and ladybirds. We identified a 7 spotted ladybird this weekend – the first time I can remember seeing one so early, well either that or I’m extremely unobservant!! I’m sure that the freakishly warm weather tempted it out for a wander! Of course there’s no chance of seeing frog spawn since we, and our immediate neighbours, lack a pond. During this month the BBC are interested in Peacock butterflies, swifts and hawthorn; so if you’re after more info check out their site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/springwatch/record/)

Now this isn’t strictly garden related but I was really excited yesterday as I noticed a bat on my way to yoga. It was circling above the river scooping up midges for what seemed like ages! I was surprised at how small it was with such tiny wings… I knew all those hours watching Batman cartoons and films weren’t wasted!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home