Wednesday, March 30, 2005

And we have germination!

Typical, I disappear for a couple of days over Easter and my tomatoes, lettuce and sweet pea decide to make an appearance. Last year was a disaster with all my seedlings dying at about 3 weeks. I couldn’t understand why. They had plenty of water, sunlight, space, fresh compost and were regularly turned, perhaps there was too much water, sunlight, space, fresh compost and turning? So this winter I was very careful to wash all the pots thoroughly so as to reduce any external factors adversely influencing the progress of my seeds. Trying to keep enthusiasm muted as I don’t want to get my hopes up again, but it’s still reassuring to see those delicate slivers of green stretching upwards. Even more exciting to know that some will be eaten and savoured (regardless of taste – because they will be fab!)! So far so good...

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

I've had no luck with my sweet pea seeds, so I ended up buying some on Sunday. Of course, they felt it necessary to plant them in pink flower pots, so once again I got to feel emasculated in the garden centre. Ah well, such is the life of a male gardener who wants to grow pretty little flowers!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Silvianne said...

I just came across a great gardening website called AtlGardening.com*. Not only does it feature articles for the gardening enthusiast, but has become a great gardening shoes
resource for me in my landscaping effort. The webmaster of this site has recently added a book section that seemed to expand everytime I go there.
What I like about it is that I get instant access to the book and don't have to wait for the book(s) to arrive which of course saves me money.....no shipping charges.... in some cases. Great idea. I love it. You must check it out today. Let me know what you think.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home